Filipina Worker Flees Alleged Abuse in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

A Filipina worker who reportedly escaped mistreatment by her employer in Saudi Arabia is now staying under the care of the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh while authorities arrange her return home.

Reports mention that the 45-year-old OFW was a frail physical condition and appeared noticeably underweight, raising concerns that she may not have been given enough food while staying with her employer.

Filipina Worker Flees Alleged Abuse in Saudi Arabia

Image: Philippine Embassy in Riyadh / Screengrab taken from GMA Regional TV Ratsada Balita (YouTube)

Worker Reaches Philippine Embassy After Escape

A 45-year-old overseas Filipino worker reportedly escaped from her employer on August 2 and sought help from the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh.

The worker is originally from Cebu and is married to a resident of Barangay 8 in Isabela, Negros Occidental.

The couple has three children who are all minors.

Reports said the OFW appeared very thin and may have received too little food while staying with her employer.

These claims remain allegations.

No detailed findings from an official investigation have been released as of August 5.

The worker’s identity has also been withheld to protect her privacy and safety.

Contract Had Been Extended Until December 2026

The Filipina reportedly began working in Riyadh under a contract covering January 2023 to December 2025.

Her employment was later extended until December 31, 2026.

It remains unclear what caused the reported mistreatment or whether formal complaints have been filed against the employer.

The Philippine government is expected to coordinate with Saudi authorities on any legal, immigration, or employment matters that must be settled before the worker can leave the country.

Government Arranges Her Return to Negros

Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose “Bong” Lacson confirmed that the national government had already acted on the case.

He said the main concern was bringing the worker safely back to Negros Occidental.

The provincial government may also provide financial assistance after she returns.

Isabela Mayor Miguel Angelo Yulo said the local government was communicating with the OFW’s family and national agencies regarding her repatriation.

No confirmed travel date has been announced.

The Philippine Embassy and Department of Migrant Workers had also not issued a public case update at the time of writing.

Where Distressed OFWs Can Seek Help

Filipinos facing abuse, unpaid wages, confinement, or other emergencies should contact Philippine authorities as early as possible.

Workers in Riyadh and nearby areas may reach the Philippine Embassy in Saudi Arabia or the Migrant Workers Office.

The Department of Migrant Workers can assist with rescue coordination, employment complaints, shelter, legal support, and repatriation.

OFWs or their families may also contact the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration through Hotline 1348 in the Philippines.

Family members should prepare the worker’s full name, employer’s details, location, passport information, and recent messages to help authorities check the case faster.