There’s no telling when accidents or medical emergencies can happen during our lifetime, it can take place early on or even later on life. However, it’s not important to know when these things will happen, but what we do before these things happen, especially when you’re living overseas and have the capacity to prepare for these things.
As part of looking after our own health and safety, getting insurance should be part of every OFW’s plan for their future, and even to use the assistance offered by the government in the form of SSS and PhilHealth memberships.
Guide to Applying for Voluntary PhilHealth Membership as an OFW in KSA
However, before we get to take advantage of these memberships, we need to understand why becoming a member of PhilHealth is important in the first place.
As a PhilHealth member, we get to enjoy various benefits which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Inpatient Benefits: PhilHealth shall reimburse a portion of your hospital bill if you get confined for a condition which requires admission in a PhilHealth-accredited facility.
- Outpatient Benefits: PhilHealth shall cover a portion of the cost for day surgeries, where patients are sent home within the same day for post-operative care; radiotherapy; hemodialysis; outpatient blood transfusions; as well as primary and expanded care benefits.
- Z-Benefits: These cater to certain cases of cancer and other serious illnesses for both children and adults living in the Philippines.
- SDG-related Benefits: These include voluntary surgical contraception procedure, malaria packages, HIV-AIDS package, anti-tuberculosis treatment, and animal bite treatment package.
Based on the above-listed benefits, we can say that PhilHealth may not be as comprehensive as private medical insurance schemes, but these can help lessen the burden of getting hospitalized or treated in the country, as compared to other parts of the world.
So, in order to claim the benefits listed above, an OFW must first register as a volunteer member, through any of the following ways:
- For land-based OFWs: They may apply at any branch of PhilHealth-accredited collecting partners such as iRemit and Ventaja Corporation.
- Online Application via the PhilHealth Online Registration Facility using the following steps:
- Go to the PhilHealth Electronic Registration System.
- Click “Proceed”.
- Read the Terms and Conditions, tick the small box at the bottom, and click “Accept”.
- Enter all the required details on the PhilHealth Online Registration Form.
- Upload your document in jpeg, pdf, gif, or png format. (This part is optional).
- Enter the provided Captcha code, tick the small box, and then click “Submit Registration”.
- Check your inbox for an email notification message with the instructions on how to complete your PhilHealth membership application. Copy the transaction number, which serves as a reference to your registration.
- Download and print the PMRF, fill it out completely and send it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
However way you choose to apply as a volunteer member, you will have to pay PHP 2,400 at any PhilHealth office, collecting agents, or the PhilHealth Operations Center at the POEA Central Office.
If you have any concerns or specific requests, you may contact PhilHealth’s Overseas Filipino Program (OFP) through any of the following channels:
OFW mobile phone: +63 917 512 9149
Landline: 02 441 7442
Becoming a PhilHealth member, even for its complementary services, can help you or your family in case an accident or a medical emergency occurs. If you wish to know more about the member benefits and updates from PhilHealth, feel free to check out their official website.
ALSO READ: 7 Tips on Finding a Job in Saudi Arabia